Most of the time, the hardest part of starting out in a game comes from naming your character. Your in-game name (IGN) becomes a key part of your identity as the player behind the screen. It’s no different in League of Legends. So if you messed up when starting out it’s important to know how to change your name in League of Legends.
When creating your LOL account, you are asked to come up with two names. The first one is your account name, which is used to log-in to the client, and the other is your Summoner Name, which is the name displayed when you’re in-game and on other player’s friend lists.
Why Would I Want To Change My Name In League Of legends?
There are several reasons why someone would want to change their name in LOL:
- Inappropriate name – having an inappropriate name has its consequences. Riot Games is very strict on its humanitarian policies which protect the morality of the game against player misconduct. Breaking this might get your account reported or even banned.
- Outgrown name – as you grow up you might find more creative inspirations when naming your characters. Maybe “DarkShadowSlayer999” isn’t something you’d like your friends calling you so you go with something simpler and easier to say.
- Adding Details – for some people, including additional details such as a team name tag before their IGN, changing a few letters to make the name more unique, or just adding a few details is important in establishing a sense of identity.
How To Change Your Name In League Of Legends
Luckily for you, changing your name in LOL is as easy as buying a new champion. But first, let’s talk about the two options available to change your summoner name.
- 1300 RP – Riot points are the premium currency in League of Legends purchased by exchanging real money.
- 13900 BE – Blue essence, unlike RP, is completely free and requires that you’ve earned enough through playing the game.
Now that you know your options, you’re ready to learn how to change your summoner name!
Related: LOL Name Checker
Summoner Name Change Step-by-Step:
STEP 1: Log-in to your League of Legends and go to the Store which is the icon that looks like a stack of coins.
STEP 2: Look for the account button which is the gear button right beside your summoner icon.
STEP 3: Click on the Summoner Name Change scroll and decide which currency you would like to pay with.
STEP 4: Input the name you’ve decided to use then confirm!
That’s it! Now you know how to change your name in League of Legends. You can do this as many times as you want provided that you have enough BE or RP to pay for the name change scroll.
Also Read: Best Mouse For LOL
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Can I use the same name I have on another account?
Unfortunately, a summoner name has to be unique even if you’re the owner of the same name. However, you can add numbers or accents to some letters in order to include a minor change while keeping your IGN as similar as possible.
- What will happen if I used an inappropriate name?
Riot Games has strict policies against explicit content such as profanity, insults, hate speech, and other forms of vulgar content. Most of the time, your IGN will just be changed automatically into a default preset. Although, if you insist on keeping the inappropriate name, there is a rare chance to get banned.
- Do I have to use my real name for my account?
That is entirely up to you. It’s not a requirement to use your real name in-game. However, some people prefer using their real name as their IGN. On the other hand, it would be advisable not to use sensitive information to keep your personal or professional identity safe.
- Which symbols can I include when naming my account?
You can use the following symbols when naming your account.
- Alphabet letters – you can use letters from your local alphabet depending on which server you are playing on.
- Numbers – all numbers from 0-9 are can be included.
- Accents – these are letters with lines, dashes, or dots on a letter. Examples are à, ç, é, ô, ń.
- Underscores and spaces – you can add an underscore or a space to separate parts of your IGN.
- What is the best name for my account?
The best name for your account is the one you are most comfortable with. Think of a name that best describes you and how you want to show off on the rift.
Not sure how to log out. Find out how to log out of League of Legends.